Guidelines for Chairs
The committee of EABS is highly appreciative of the important work that you do as chair of a research group. Your contribution is crucial for maintaining high quality academic programs in our society.
Throughout the year, there are a few key deadlines. Not meeting them may mean that your research group cannot meet in a given year. Please ensure that you provide EABS with an active email address to which deadline notifications will be sent.
Late autumn: Update the research group’s page on the EABS website with the following information:
- Programme (description of your research goals and methodologies);
- Post current Call for Papers
- Information on previous years’ sessions (topic description, presenters names and title of the presented paper).
Ca. mid-February: abstract submission opens
Within three weeks of closing of Call for Papers (ca. late March):
- Send notes of acceptance/ refusal to those who proposed papers for the session.
- Submit the complete program of the session to the EABS program coordinator, including any scheduling conflicts.
- Send drafts of the session’s papers to respondents ahead of the meeting, so they may have the necessary time to prepare well-argued responses—relevant only to sessions with a planned response section.
- If your group receives only one high quality abstract submission, please consider yielding this submission to another group into whose subject area it might fit.
- One speaker may present up to three papers during the conference, but not more than three.
- Please remind all speakers to join EABS if they are not members yet and to register for the conference. If a speaker is unable to participate in the conference, please ask them to inform you as soon as possible.
- Make sure that all participants in the session, whether they are chairs, speakers or respondents, have all the support (such as, e.g., AV, accessibility requirements) that they need for holding a successful session.
Chairing a session at the conference:
- Get in touch with all speakers in the session and provide them with an email address at which you can be contacted.
- Remind speakers to inform you of any AV needs.
- During the session please respect the time allotted to each paper and to discussion. Take a appropriate measures for the optimal running of the session. Please bear in mind EABS’ policy on professional conduct, published here.